BMW E46 M3 BC RACING COILOVERS
Suspension is an area where the experts believe the best gains are made when modifying a BMW E46 M3 for either fast road or track work. The standard car is not shabby when it comes to cornering but, as a mass produced car, the car has to appeal to drivers with differing requirements. Understandably the car exhibits body roll and is set to understeer at the limit of grip in standard form. For reducing body roll and adding adjustability to reduce understeer and dial the car into fast road or track duties a coilover kit is seen as essential.
The BC Racing coilover range for BMW E46 M3 offers unbeatable value for money. You get camber adjustable front top mounts with all the different types of kit available. For the BR Series you can choose either a full coilover front and rear set up or coilover front with separate spring and damper rear as in the OE set up.
For the BMW E46 M3, the BC Racing range comes in many flavours depending upon your budget and needs as listed below:
- BR Series – single adjustable damping, ideal for fast road and track days, popular for use in racing and drifting due to the simple damping adjustment
- RM Series – inverted monotube with single adjustable damping, needs servicing yearly hence we feel the kit is ideal for dedicated track day cars. Also popular for use in racing and drifting due to the inverted monotube design which maximises grip and reduces heat soak in the dampers
- DS Series - single adjustable damping using digressive valves. The fast flow digressive valving used in the dampers increases damper response for increased grip and traction on imperfect surfaces making them ideal for fast road, track days and racing
- ER Series – 2-way damping adjustable version based upon the BR Series. Separates rebound and compression control for finer tuning of the cars damping hence seen by many as the entry level kit for serious track day cars, racing and drifting
- HM Series - 2-way damping adjustable version based upon the RM Series. Inverted monotube with separate rebound and compression control for finer tuning of the cars damping aimed at serious track day cars, racing and drifting
- ZR Series - 3-way damping adjustable version based upon the ER Series. External reservoirs, separate rebound damping, separate low speed and high speed compression. This is the top of the range kit aimed at experienced serious track dayers and racers who have the experience to understand and set up a 3-way suspension systems for the best possible suspension advantage
Whilst BC Racing offer a wide choice of coilover kits for the E46 M3 our advice is simple, if you need an easy to adjust and maintain kit for fast road and track day duty, the BR, DS and ER series are where you should be looking. Then it is a question of budget. For dedicated track day cars and racing the ER and HR series should be considered first then. The ZR Series 3-way system should only be considered if you have the experience to know how to set the damping up and get the best out of it.